Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Nashua shooting victim alive, two witnesses located
Nashua police investigate the scene of a shooting on Salvail Court. Kimberly Houghton/Union Leader Correspondent
Authorities remain at the site of a shooting on Monday near BAE Systems on Canal Street. An adult male was shot Sunday night. Kimberly Houghton/Union Leader Correspondent
Nashua police investigate a shooting that took place Sunday night in the city. Kimberly Houghton/Union Leader Correspondent
An apartment building at 1 Salvail Court has been secured with crime scene tape in Nashua as authorities investigate a shooting. Kimberly Houghton/Union Leader Correspondent
NASHUA — Police are not yet releasing the identity of a man shot Sunday night in the area of 1 Salvail Court across from BAE Systems. The Nashua Police Department's Crime Scene Investigation van remained at the scene of the shooting Monday afternoon, taking photographs and bagging potential evidence.
Authorities said the victim, an adult male, survived the shooting; however, they would not elaborate on the extent of his injuries or his condition.
The New Hampshire Attorney General's Office is assisting in the investigation. Peter Hinckley, assistant attorney general, said the identity of the victim is being withheld pending notification of family members.
“He is still alive,” Hinckley said around 4 p.m. Monday, refusing to comment on where the victim is receiving medical care. “It is still an open, active investigation.”
Earlier Monday, authorities were searching for two potential witnesses -- Daniel DeGrace, 31, and Benjamin Mayberry, 30 -- who they said may be armed and dangerous. The two had been located later in the day Monday, but Hinckley would not comment on whether they they are being interviewed or considered suspects in the shooting.
Several residents of the apartment unit at 1 Salvail Court were asked by police to leave the complex as they conducted their investigation Monday. Some had been sitting outside a nearby laundromat since Sunday night. Shortly before noon Monday, one of those occupants, Carolyn Starkey, said she just wanted to go home. “I was at the police station for six hours, and sitting here all night,” she said from the front step at Laundry 66.
The shooting victim, according to Starkey, does not live at her apartment complex, but resides elsewhere in Nashua. Starkey said she was sleeping at the time of the shooting, but admits it is unsettling to have to wake up to such violence. “It does make me upset,” she said, as her apartment building was surrounded by yellow police tape and multiple police cruisers.
Authorities spent several hours Monday morning and into the afternoon collecting potential evidence, taking items out of several nearby garbage bins and photographing evidence markers in the side parking lot area of the apartment building.
“It is a very strange situation,” said Paul Bernazzani, another occupant who was displaced because of the investigation. “We are not even allowed back into our apartment.”
Bernazzani said he didn't hear anything unusual late Sunday night, explaining it is typically loud in the vicinity as the nearby BAE Systems plant still operates at night.
“I thought nothing about it until we heard all of the sirens and flashing lights,” said Bernazzani.
According to Starkey, one of the potential witnesses, DeGrace, resides in her apartment building.
Hinckley was tight-lipped about the specifics of the case, refusing to comment on whether the shooting took place inside or outside the apartment building. He also refused to release the name or address of the victim, or to comment on any potential motive or additional witnesses.
Police were called to the residence Sunday night for “an apparent shooting,” said Hinckley, adding no criminal charges have been brought forth at this time. He would not comment on what type of gun was used in the shooting or whether authorities have located any weapons. Anyone with information about Sunday's shooting is urged to call police at 594-3500.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Prosecutor says man has convictions dating back to 2006 - 0
- Hudson man accused in $5k theft, forgery case - 0
- Former Atkinson official facing false complaint charges - 0
- Londonderry woman shot during Maine home invasion - 0
- Ex-Sandown officer's lawsuit challenging Laurie list designation headed to trial - 2
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Three more arrested in connection to Keene riots - 0
- Former court security officer pleads guilty to sexual assault - 0
- State police charge wrong-way driver with DWI - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs hope to wrap two wins - 0
- College Football: These Redbirds can run and pass - 0
- Bedford pizza restaurant gets surprise makeover from Eastern Bank - 0
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 0
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 2
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- College Basketball: UNH women top Dartmouth - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Exeter skates past Trinity - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Memorial solid in win over Hanover - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483