Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Nurse to admit stealing morphine
BRENTWOOD - A nurse facing charges that she allegedly deprived morphine from a resident at a Portsmouth nursing home and kept the drug for herself has agreed to plead guilty instead of going to trial, according to court papers filed by her lawyer.
Nina Perez, 32, of Berwick, Maine has struck a plea deal with state prosecutors just four months after being indicted on drug-related charges in Rockingham County Superior Court.
Terms of the plea agreement have not yet been made public.
Perez, who is free on bail, is expected to return to court on Jan. 2, 2013 to enter her plea.
She is facing charges of possession of a controlled drug and abuse of facility patients. Perez was working as a licensed practical nurse at The Edgewood Centre in Portsmouth on May 19 when she took a quantity of morphine prescribed to a male resident, according to a court complaint.
State prosecutors added the charge of abusing the patient, alleging that Perez, "harmfully deprived a patient of prescribed medication," which the patient used to control his pain.
Prosecutors say that Perez substituted the morphine with muscle relaxant, Flexeril.
Perez was arrested in August by state investigators. A grand jury returned the indictments against her a month later.
Had she been convicted at trial, Perez could have faced up to 3-1/2 to 7 years in state prison on the drug charge. The abuse of facility patients is a misdemeanor. The case is being prosecuted by the state Attorney General's Office.
A judge will have to approve the plea deal at the hearing in January. Perez could also face action against the New Hampshire Board of Nursing as a result of her arrest. The board has the power to suspend Perez's license to practice or take other disciplinary action.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Manchester woman wakes to find burglar in home - 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 4
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 5
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal