Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Man fails to convince state Supreme Court police blocked free speech
CONCORD - A man convicted of disorderly conduct can't use the First Amendment to claim he has a right to interrupt police while they interview another person and offer to videotape the conversation, the New Hampshire Supreme Court ruled last week.
In a unanimous ruling, the court said Samuel Biondolillo went beyond his rights when he came within an arm's length of a Concord police officer, who was interviewing the father of a young child whose mother was about to be arrested.
Police said they wanted to determine whether the father was capable of caring for the child. But Biondolillo asked the father if he was OK, whether he wanted a lawyer and whether he wanted the interaction with police recorded.
"It was not the content of the defendant's speech that caused Office Garcia to arrest him. Rather, it was the fact that he was interfering with the performance of Garcia's duties as a law enforcement officer and subsequently refused Garcia's lawful command aimed a preventing further interference," according to a ruling written by Justice Gary Hicks.
The incident took place outside a McDonald's restaurant on June 28, 2011. During a bench trial, Biondolillo was cleared of a charge of obstructing government administration but found guilty of disorderly conduct.
Biondolillo's lawyer, Manchester attorney Brandon D. Ross, said his client is part of the Free State movement. He said a decision has not been made whether to appeal Biondolillo's conviction to federal court.
Nicholas Cort, an assistant attorney general who argued against the appeal, said the key to the decision was interference in the duties of the police officer. Recently, a federal appeals court in Boston ruled that a bystander has a constitutional right to videotape police in public, but that case did not involve an interference with police.
"That's the big difference," Cort said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Manchester man tells judge pills aren’t his - 0
- Hannaford parking lot encounter involved a shotgun - 35
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424