Home » News » Public Safety
Woman seriously injured after being hit by car in Exeter
EXETER - An Exeter woman was seriously injured Tuesday afternoon when she was struck by a 16-year-old driver from Plaistow while walking along the side of Portsmouth Avenue.
Police Capt. Bill Shupe said the 66-year-old woman was walking south on the sidewalk toward the downtown area, near Gary Blake Motorcars at 58 Portsmouth Ave., when she was hit around 3:15 p.m.
The teen was driving a Hyundai Sonata north on Portsmouth Avenue when he suddenly crossed over to the opposite side of the street and hit the woman.
The woman was transported to Exeter Hospital. The extent of her injuries wasn't known, but police described them as serious.
"They did not appear life-threatening based on the fact that she was conscious and alert and answering questions. It did appear that there was a head laceration," Shupe said.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
Police will be investigating whether the teenager was distracted at the time, but Shupe said that at this point there is no evidence that he was texting, speeding, or impaired by alcohol or drugs.
The names of the driver and the woman were not available from police Tuesday night.
- - - - - - - -
Jason Schreiber may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads