Home » News » Public Safety
Woman seriously injured after being hit by car in Exeter
EXETER - An Exeter woman was seriously injured Tuesday afternoon when she was struck by a 16-year-old driver from Plaistow while walking along the side of Portsmouth Avenue.
Police Capt. Bill Shupe said the 66-year-old woman was walking south on the sidewalk toward the downtown area, near Gary Blake Motorcars at 58 Portsmouth Ave., when she was hit around 3:15 p.m.
The teen was driving a Hyundai Sonata north on Portsmouth Avenue when he suddenly crossed over to the opposite side of the street and hit the woman.
The woman was transported to Exeter Hospital. The extent of her injuries wasn't known, but police described them as serious.
"They did not appear life-threatening based on the fact that she was conscious and alert and answering questions. It did appear that there was a head laceration," Shupe said.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
Police will be investigating whether the teenager was distracted at the time, but Shupe said that at this point there is no evidence that he was texting, speeding, or impaired by alcohol or drugs.
The names of the driver and the woman were not available from police Tuesday night.
- - - - - - - -
Jason Schreiber may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 33
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 14
- Despite contract provisions, most Manchester police officers live outside city - 25
- Londonderry response team celebrates 10th anniversary - 0
- Police say to expect more arrests in wake of Keene chaos - 6
- Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation - 8
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Three indicted in beating, robbery of pizza delivery man in Somersworth - 0
- Man arrested as Manchester West High School intruder indicted on felony charge - 0
- Keene police say one charged with riot on Saturday, another arrested could face riot charge - 0
- Manchester man indicted on charge he ordered murder of city man - 0
- Husband found guilty, wife awaiting trial in murder of St. Johnsbury, Vt. teacher - 0
- No murder charge in stabbing of Manchester man in 'Black Acres;' self-defense claimed - 0
- Ottawa police say male suspect in attack and soldier are dead - 1
- Keene police release riot images, seek help with identification - 0
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon to care for any potential NH Ebola patients, state announces - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Health costs up for Manchester
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?