Home » News » Public Safety
Woman seriously injured after being hit by car in Exeter
EXETER - An Exeter woman was seriously injured Tuesday afternoon when she was struck by a 16-year-old driver from Plaistow while walking along the side of Portsmouth Avenue.
Police Capt. Bill Shupe said the 66-year-old woman was walking south on the sidewalk toward the downtown area, near Gary Blake Motorcars at 58 Portsmouth Ave., when she was hit around 3:15 p.m.
The teen was driving a Hyundai Sonata north on Portsmouth Avenue when he suddenly crossed over to the opposite side of the street and hit the woman.
The woman was transported to Exeter Hospital. The extent of her injuries wasn't known, but police described them as serious.
"They did not appear life-threatening based on the fact that she was conscious and alert and answering questions. It did appear that there was a head laceration," Shupe said.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
Police will be investigating whether the teenager was distracted at the time, but Shupe said that at this point there is no evidence that he was texting, speeding, or impaired by alcohol or drugs.
The names of the driver and the woman were not available from police Tuesday night.
- - - - - - - -
Jason Schreiber may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 2
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 3
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 1
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 1
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Moving Wall in Haverhill asks us to remember
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name