All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Former Farmington baseball star airlifted after Maine crash

Union Leader Correspondent

December 04. 2012 8:38PM
A man who beat cancer after being drafted by the Dodgers in 2005 was flown to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor after being in a head-on crash on Route 7 in Plymouth, Maine Friday. (Courtesy photo)

After beating cancer and being drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2005, a New Hampshire man once again is facing an uphill battle following a serious head-on collision Friday.

Jayson Whitehouse, 26, who was born in Farmington, N.H., sustained life-threatening injuries after his car crossed the center line along Route 7 in Plymouth, Maine, and struck an oncoming SUV, driven by Courtney Lacadie, 38, of Dixmont, around 11 a.m. according to Penobscot County Sheriff's deputies.

While LifeFlight crews flew Whitehouse to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor,

Lacadie was transported by ambulance for serious injuries. The road remained closed while emergency crews from five communities responded to the scene.

Police continue to investigate the accident, which destroyed both vehicles, but they believe road conditions were not a factor, according to Chief Deputy Troy Morton.

Whitehouse's friends, who encouraged him to keep reaching for his dream while fighting Burkitt's Lymphoma, hope to help him again."Jayson's in pretty tough shape," said Dave P. Hoyt, director of staff and player development at USA Training Centers/USA Mavericks in Newington N.H.

Whitehouse was a three-time all-state selection who led Farmington High School to three baseball titles in three years while scoring 1,575 points on the basketball court with the Tigers.

After graduating in 2004, Whitehouse hit .364 while playing in South Carolina with Spartanburg Methodist College. Right after being drafted as a left fielder by the Dodgers in the 23rd round, Whitehouse was diagnosed with the rare form of non-Hodgkins cancer in June of 2005.

Although he lost sight in one eye, the chemotherapy treatments he underwent in the summer stopped the cancer by October of 2005.

- - - - - - - -

John Quinn may be reached at

Accidents Farmington

More Headlines