Home » News » Public Safety
Man injured in Portsmouth motor scooter accident
A scooter rider was injured in a scooter accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon. Gretyl Macalaster/Union Leader Correspondent
PORTSMOUTH - A scooter rider was injured in an accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses said the male rider tried to stop his orange Vespa scooter after the car in front of him abruptly stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, causing him to lose control and tumbled over the handlebars. The man hit his head, causing his helmet to fly off, Portsmouth resident Eric Perkins said.
Perkins said he was walking on Islington Street toward downtown when he saw the accident happen.
Carl Diemer of Portsmouth was driving by and saw the man lying in the street with people standing around but no one was helping him. Diemer grabbed a blanket and a first-aid kit from Davies Tire and talked to the man until police and paramedics arrived on the scene.
Diemer said the man was conscious and asked Diemer to get his cellphone and call his wife and his employer.
He said the man had a large bump on his head, a cut to his nose and scuffed knees. The man was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by ambulance.
Portsmouth Police Sgt. John Peracchi was not immediately able to identify the victim.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- With COPsync911 unveiling in Londonderry, NH paving the way for national school safety movement - 0
- Off-duty Winchester officer plays role saving Keene police officer - 0
- Rural towns struggle to find volunteer safety personnel - 0
- At Manchester police awards ceremony, mom wants answers, justice for son - 1
- Manchester police add four new officers - 1
- 7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway - 1
- Mass. climbers stuck on Cannon Mtn. - 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 1
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester officials searching for central preschool facility building - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man faces charges tied to burglary, stolen jewelry - 0
- After 12 years, Derry CFO steps down from position - 0
- Alleged conflict of interest among Timberlane board member's issues - 0
- Controversial nominee appointed to authority - 0
- Two-class series for pet owners to be held in Bedford - 0
- Degree program offers savings to Manchester teachers - 0
- Laconia sex offender indicted again on seven charges - 0
- Rye woman faces felony witness tampering charge - 0
U.S. Marshals say son of murdered Manchester couple sighted in Fla.; $5,000 reward offered
Back-to- school shopping slowest since ‘09
S&P 500 down for third straight day
Report on Manchester schools cites falling test scores, higher dropout rates among ongoing challenges
Obama to make statement after airstrikes against Islamic State, White House official says