Home » News » Public Safety
Man injured in Portsmouth motor scooter accident
PORTSMOUTH - A scooter rider was injured in an accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses said the male rider tried to stop his orange Vespa scooter after the car in front of him abruptly stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, causing him to lose control and tumbled over the handlebars. The man hit his head, causing his helmet to fly off, Portsmouth resident Eric Perkins said.
Perkins said he was walking on Islington Street toward downtown when he saw the accident happen.
Carl Diemer of Portsmouth was driving by and saw the man lying in the street with people standing around but no one was helping him. Diemer grabbed a blanket and a first-aid kit from Davies Tire and talked to the man until police and paramedics arrived on the scene.
Diemer said the man was conscious and asked Diemer to get his cellphone and call his wife and his employer.
He said the man had a large bump on his head, a cut to his nose and scuffed knees. The man was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by ambulance.
Portsmouth Police Sgt. John Peracchi was not immediately able to identify the victim.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
- Manchester man dies after being hit by car - 0
- Family, pet cats and snake escape Nottingham fire - 0
- Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting - 0
- School bus slides off road, slams into trees in Deerfield - 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Bramante's 'free' education initiative gets green light - 0
- Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot - 0
- Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents - 0
- Millsfield ready to resume holding first primary vote - 0
- Rist defends his salary as interim Central principal - 0
- The Pope's anniversary: Viewing him through different lenses - 0
- Up late with Shaheen: Misplaced Senate priorities - 0
- Jindal says GOP has to 'be a party that's for something' - 0
- NH College Notebook: Bedford's Glassman first NH player into D-I dance - 0
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Roger Simon: Hillary is sick - of the media
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity