Home » News » Public Safety
Man injured in Portsmouth motor scooter accident
PORTSMOUTH - A scooter rider was injured in an accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses said the male rider tried to stop his orange Vespa scooter after the car in front of him abruptly stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, causing him to lose control and tumbled over the handlebars. The man hit his head, causing his helmet to fly off, Portsmouth resident Eric Perkins said.
Perkins said he was walking on Islington Street toward downtown when he saw the accident happen.
Carl Diemer of Portsmouth was driving by and saw the man lying in the street with people standing around but no one was helping him. Diemer grabbed a blanket and a first-aid kit from Davies Tire and talked to the man until police and paramedics arrived on the scene.
Diemer said the man was conscious and asked Diemer to get his cellphone and call his wife and his employer.
He said the man had a large bump on his head, a cut to his nose and scuffed knees. The man was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by ambulance.
Portsmouth Police Sgt. John Peracchi was not immediately able to identify the victim.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police probe Dover official's fatal car crash - 0
- Fundraiser tonight to benefit injured man - 0
- No cause yet in Woodshed restaurant fire - 0
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 4
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 8
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072