Home » News » Public Safety
Man injured in Portsmouth motor scooter accident
A scooter rider was injured in a scooter accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon. Gretyl Macalaster/Union Leader Correspondent
PORTSMOUTH - A scooter rider was injured in an accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses said the male rider tried to stop his orange Vespa scooter after the car in front of him abruptly stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, causing him to lose control and tumbled over the handlebars. The man hit his head, causing his helmet to fly off, Portsmouth resident Eric Perkins said.
Perkins said he was walking on Islington Street toward downtown when he saw the accident happen.
Carl Diemer of Portsmouth was driving by and saw the man lying in the street with people standing around but no one was helping him. Diemer grabbed a blanket and a first-aid kit from Davies Tire and talked to the man until police and paramedics arrived on the scene.
Diemer said the man was conscious and asked Diemer to get his cellphone and call his wife and his employer.
He said the man had a large bump on his head, a cut to his nose and scuffed knees. The man was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by ambulance.
Portsmouth Police Sgt. John Peracchi was not immediately able to identify the victim.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 3
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 23
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt