Home » News » Public Safety
Man injured in Portsmouth scooter accident
A scooter rider was injured in a scooter accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon. Gretyl Macalaster/Union Leader Correspondent
PORTSMOUTH - A scooter rider was injured in an accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses said the male rider tried to stop his orange Vespa scooter after the car in front of him abruptly stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk but lost control and went over the front of his handlebars.The man hit his head, causing his helmet to fly off, Portsmouth resident Eric Perkins said.
Perkins said he was walking on Islington Street toward downtown when he saw the accident happen.
Carl Diemer of Portsmouth was driving by and saw the man lying in the street with people standing around but no one helping him. He grabbed a blanket and a first-aid kit from Davies Tire and talked to the man until police and paramedics arrived on the scene.
Diemer said the man was conscious and asked Diemer to get his cellphone and call his wife and his employer.
He said the man had a large bump on his head, a cut to his nose and had scuffed up his knees. The man was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by ambulance.
Portsmouth Police Sgt. John Peracchi was not immediately able to identify the victim.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads