Home » News » Public Safety
Man injured in Portsmouth scooter accident
PORTSMOUTH - A scooter rider was injured in an accident on Islington Street early Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses said the male rider tried to stop his orange Vespa scooter after the car in front of him abruptly stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk but lost control and went over the front of his handlebars.The man hit his head, causing his helmet to fly off, Portsmouth resident Eric Perkins said.
Perkins said he was walking on Islington Street toward downtown when he saw the accident happen.
Carl Diemer of Portsmouth was driving by and saw the man lying in the street with people standing around but no one helping him. He grabbed a blanket and a first-aid kit from Davies Tire and talked to the man until police and paramedics arrived on the scene.
Diemer said the man was conscious and asked Diemer to get his cellphone and call his wife and his employer.
He said the man had a large bump on his head, a cut to his nose and had scuffed up his knees. The man was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by ambulance.
Portsmouth Police Sgt. John Peracchi was not immediately able to identify the victim.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
- Pittsfield pizza dough company already rebuilding after fire - 0
- Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua - 0
- Police officer, firefighter team up to rescue dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- Police dog Mingo is in even better hands - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester school board to take a closer look at lice policy - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Yet another must-win scenario for men's hockey team - 0
- Nashua mayor to aldermen: Don’t alter rules on city contracts - 0
- Merrimack-Trinity semifinal to be followed by Memorial-Central in Div. I basketball - 0
- Pinkerton-Londonderry rivalry set for Div. I hockey semifinal - 1
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 0
- Parking lot study to go before Peterborough voters - 0
- Former Derry Town Administrator John Anderson asks judge to dismiss charges - 0
- Board of Education to vote on Nashua North High principal - 0
For New Hampshire towns, it’s time to vote
License revocations for DWI announced
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings