Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox land OF Victorino
The Boston Red Sox must have a fondness for three-year, $39 million contracts.
Free agent outfielder Shane Victorino and the Red Sox agreed to a deal with those terms Tuesday, according to multiple media reports. On Monday, free agent catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli got an identical deal from the team.
Victorino must pass a physical before the deal can be finalized.
With Jacoby Ellsbury set as the Red Sox's center fielder, Victorino figures to take over in right field. Cody Ross was Boston's right fielder last season, but he is a free agent this winter.
Victorino, 32, had a disappointing 2012 season, which he split between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Los Angeles Dodgers. He batted a combined .255 with a .321 on-base percentage, 11 homers, 55 RBI and 39 stolen bases.
Victorino won Gold Gloves for his work as the Phillies' center fielder in 2008, 2009 and 2010, twice making the National League All-Star team.
He began his career with a brief stint with the San Diego Padres in 2003, then played 2005 through most of this season with Philadelphia. In nine major league seasons, Victorino has a .275 career average with a .341 on-base percentage, 90 homers, 409 RBs and 201 stolen bases.
READER COMMENTS: 15
- Texting + driving = deadly consequences - 0
- Deerfield teacher honored by national science organization - 0
- Institute of Art graduates its largest class in Manchester - 0
- UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos - 23
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 1
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rabid cat found, shot in Hillsborough - 0
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Fisher Cats’ win streak snapped by Portland - 0
- NH celebrates presidential primary’s 100th anniversary - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Survivors pulled from Oklahoma tornado debris as toll falls - 1
- UPDATED: Chester police seek two men in armed home invasion - 1
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands