Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Trial date set for former Salem Zoning Board chairman facing drug charges
Ronald Giordano, Salem's former Zoning Board of Adjustment chairman, has been scheduled for trial the week of Jan. 7 in Rockingham County Superior Court. He was indicted on felony drug charges in June. COURTESY
BRENTWOOD - A trial date has been set for Salem's former Zoning Board of Adjustment chairman who was arrested last year for allegedly selling oxycodone pills to an informant working with police.
Prosecutors also filed a witness list this week in their case against Ronald Giordano, who resigned from his elected seat after his arrest last December. Giordano is scheduled for trial in Rockingham County Superior Court the week of Jan. 7.
Giordano allegedly sold more than 100 pills to an informant working with Salem police within a three-week period between last Dec. 11 and 29, according to prosecutors. It's unclear whether Giordano will ultimately take his case to trial or try to broker a plea deal.
Prosecutors filed a witness list this week in superior court, notifying the court of who could be called to testify at trial. Potential state witnesses include two workers at the state forensic laboratory, Salem police Det. Michael Bernard, Salem Deputy police Chief Shawn Patten and a confidential source who is not named in court records.
The defense has filed no pre-trial motions challenging evidence in the case.
Police said they learned about Giordano's alleged drug activity through their informant. Bernard said in a sworn affidavit he kept the informant under surveillance while he met with Giordano and bought the pills from him at a parking lot on North Broadway in Salem.
The informant made subsequent purchases from Giordano at his home days later, according to police. Investigators gave the informant marked currency to buy the drugs and seized the pills from the informant after the alleged transactions, police said.
Investigators said they later recovered the marked money from Giordano and seized $6,000 in cash from his home.
Giordano remains free on $10,000 cash bail. He faces conspiracy to commit sale of a controlled drug, violation of the controlled drug act and two counts of sale of a controlled drug.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge OKs early release for former teacher convicted of possessing child porn - 0
- Nashua man indicted for allegedly shooting girlfriend - 0
- Manchester 7-Eleven robbed for fourth time - 0
- Manchester couple faces robbery, theft charges after Salem mall incident - 1
- Chainsaw-wielding man facing multiple charges over Sept. incident - 0
- Woman faces assault charge after Monopoly game gets out of hand - 17
- Plea deal gives shooter 15-30 years in 2012 death of Manchester man - 0
- Missouri governor urges calm ahead of grand jury decision on shooting; findings to be announced at 9 p.m. - 0
- Two Manchester brothers indicted in Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 4
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 3
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 7
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483