Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Police: Combative shoplifter with machete, stun gun arrested in Salem
SALEM - A machete-shoplifting woman swallowed a handful of Xanax and threatened to zap officers with a stun gun before finally being arrested Wednesday afternoon in a Walmart parking lot, police said.
Sara Rivera, 28, of Haverhill, Mass., is charged with willful concealment.
The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. when a store loss-prevention employee tried to stop Rivera in the parking lot. Police were called for a "combative female shoplifter" who had swallowed a handful of unknown pills, according to a police news release.
When officers and firefighters arrived on the scene, Rivera allegedly was standing in the parking lot, her arms outstretched and incessantly blowing an air horn.
She refused to cooperate, police said, and was arrested after a brief struggle during which she threatened to use a Taser on the officers. A stun gun was found tucked into her waistband, according to police.
Rivera is accused of stealing about $1,000 in items from Walmart including horror movies, a machete and perfumes.
Police said she swallowed between 10 and 15 Xanax, medication used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, and was treated on the scene by fire personnel before being taken to the police station for processing.
Once she was booked, Rivera was transported to Parkland Medical Center to be medically cleared for incarceration, according to the news release.
She was transported to Rockingham County jail pending arraignment in 10th Circuit Court, Salem District Division.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Feds step up protection against sexual violence - 0
- 2 more arrested over alleged drug dealer robbery in Exeter - 0
- State seeks to address handling of campus assaults - 0
- Update: Londonderry search of shooting victim's home has concluded - 0
- N.Y. man sentenced in sex assault of NH child in 1988 - 0
- Hearing ordered in 1971 murder - 0
- Police investigating bank robbery in Nashua - 0
- Nashua police left rattled by tot's death - 1
- Police investigate shooting of Londonderry woman in Maine home invasion - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Update: Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
A new era for Nashua's police force
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
UNH loses to Illinois State
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483