May 22, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Police: Combative shoplifter with machete, stun gun arrested in Salem
SALEM - A machete-shoplifting woman swallowed a handful of Xanax and threatened to zap officers with a stun gun before finally being arrested Wednesday afternoon in a Walmart parking lot, police said.
Sara Rivera, 28, of Haverhill, Mass., is charged with willful concealment.
The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. when a store loss-prevention employee tried to stop Rivera in the parking lot. Police were called for a "combative female shoplifter" who had swallowed a handful of unknown pills, according to a police news release.
When officers and firefighters arrived on the scene, Rivera allegedly was standing in the parking lot, her arms outstretched and incessantly blowing an air horn.
She refused to cooperate, police said, and was arrested after a brief struggle during which she threatened to use a Taser on the officers. A stun gun was found tucked into her waistband, according to police.
Rivera is accused of stealing about $1,000 in items from Walmart including horror movies, a machete and perfumes.
Police said she swallowed between 10 and 15 Xanax, medication used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, and was treated on the scene by fire personnel before being taken to the police station for processing.
Once she was booked, Rivera was transported to Parkland Medical Center to be medically cleared for incarceration, according to the news release.
She was transported to Rockingham County jail pending arraignment in 10th Circuit Court, Salem District Division.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Manchester police seek Food Mart robber - 3
- No arrests in Manchester homicide; single shot to chest killed man - 13
- Jury finds Chester man guilty of sex assault - 1
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Hampton man indicted for Poker Room assault, robbery - 0
- UPDATED: Chester police seek two men in armed home invasion - 2
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 16
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 17
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424