Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Police: Combative shoplifter with machete, stun gun arrested in Salem
SALEM - A machete-shoplifting woman swallowed a handful of Xanax and threatened to zap officers with a stun gun before finally being arrested Wednesday afternoon in a Walmart parking lot, police said.
Sara Rivera, 28, of Haverhill, Mass., is charged with willful concealment.
The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. when a store loss-prevention employee tried to stop Rivera in the parking lot. Police were called for a "combative female shoplifter" who had swallowed a handful of unknown pills, according to a police news release.
When officers and firefighters arrived on the scene, Rivera allegedly was standing in the parking lot, her arms outstretched and incessantly blowing an air horn.
She refused to cooperate, police said, and was arrested after a brief struggle during which she threatened to use a Taser on the officers. A stun gun was found tucked into her waistband, according to police.
Rivera is accused of stealing about $1,000 in items from Walmart including horror movies, a machete and perfumes.
Police said she swallowed between 10 and 15 Xanax, medication used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, and was treated on the scene by fire personnel before being taken to the police station for processing.
Once she was booked, Rivera was transported to Parkland Medical Center to be medically cleared for incarceration, according to the news release.
She was transported to Rockingham County jail pending arraignment in 10th Circuit Court, Salem District Division.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newmarket man indicted on sex assault counts - 0
- Bail set at $2,000 for man accused of $1,950 check forgery - 0
- Vandal slashes holiday display but cannot deflate Christmas spirit - 0
- Mistrial declared in Keene cold-case murder trial - 0
- Grantham man gets prison in shooting death of wife - 0
- Rockingham County attorney suspension continues amid probe - 1
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424