May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
April 18, 2013
Police: Combative shoplifter with machete, stun gun arrested in Salem
SALEM - A machete-shoplifting woman swallowed a handful of Xanax and threatened to zap officers with a stun gun before finally being arrested Wednesday afternoon in a Walmart parking lot, police said.
Sara Rivera, 28, of Haverhill, Mass., is charged with willful concealment.
The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. when a store loss-prevention employee tried to stop Rivera in the parking lot. Police were called for a "combative female shoplifter" who had swallowed a handful of unknown pills, according to a police news release.
When officers and firefighters arrived on the scene, Rivera allegedly was standing in the parking lot, her arms outstretched and incessantly blowing an air horn.
She refused to cooperate, police said, and was arrested after a brief struggle during which she threatened to use a Taser on the officers. A stun gun was found tucked into her waistband, according to police.
Rivera is accused of stealing about $1,000 in items from Walmart including horror movies, a machete and perfumes.
Police said she swallowed between 10 and 15 Xanax, medication used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, and was treated on the scene by fire personnel before being taken to the police station for processing.
Once she was booked, Rivera was transported to Parkland Medical Center to be medically cleared for incarceration, according to the news release.
She was transported to Rockingham County jail pending arraignment in 10th Circuit Court, Salem District Division.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 43 killers on lifetime parole - but where? - 4
- Portsmouth driver distracted by Facebook hits utility pole - 9
- Robber escapes with drugs from Keene CVS - 0
- Portsmouth police DWI roadblock stops 179 motorists yielding 4 arrests - 0
- Nashua man arrested on charges of sexually assaulting underage girl - 3
- Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges - 0
- Mass. residents charged after Hollis man beaten and stabbed - 11
- Judge gives Salem engineer with underwater mortgage year in jail for growing pot - 1
- Teen party takes Derry rep by surprise - 27
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424