Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Police: Combative shoplifter with machete, stun gun arrested in Salem
SALEM - A machete-shoplifting woman swallowed a handful of Xanax and threatened to zap officers with a stun gun before finally being arrested Wednesday afternoon in a Walmart parking lot, police said.
Sara Rivera, 28, of Haverhill, Mass., is charged with willful concealment.
The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. when a store loss-prevention employee tried to stop Rivera in the parking lot. Police were called for a "combative female shoplifter" who had swallowed a handful of unknown pills, according to a police news release.
When officers and firefighters arrived on the scene, Rivera allegedly was standing in the parking lot, her arms outstretched and incessantly blowing an air horn.
She refused to cooperate, police said, and was arrested after a brief struggle during which she threatened to use a Taser on the officers. A stun gun was found tucked into her waistband, according to police.
Rivera is accused of stealing about $1,000 in items from Walmart including horror movies, a machete and perfumes.
Police said she swallowed between 10 and 15 Xanax, medication used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, and was treated on the scene by fire personnel before being taken to the police station for processing.
Once she was booked, Rivera was transported to Parkland Medical Center to be medically cleared for incarceration, according to the news release.
She was transported to Rockingham County jail pending arraignment in 10th Circuit Court, Salem District Division.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- High speed chase ends in crash in Lyndeborough - 2
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 3
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 1
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 1
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 28
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483