Home » News » Public Safety
Goffstown fire claims life of dog
Firefighters battled a fire on Prospect Street in Goffstown Wednesday. The back of the single-family home was damaged. (Kathy Remillard/Union Leader Correspondent)
GOFFSTOWN – Fire officials are investigating a fire on Prospect Street Wednesday in which a family dog perished.
According to police chief Patrick Sullivan, the fire at 7 Prospect St. was reported shortly before 10 a.m. by a DPW worker who was collecting trash.
Fire chief Richard O'Brien described the fire as a single alarm, with additional assistance from Bedford and Hooksett. Mutual aid was also provided by New Boston and Weare.
“The bulk of the fire was to the back of the building,” said O'Brien, “but it looks like the structure can be saved.”
A second dog, TJ, made it out of the building, which was surprising to Coulombe, since the 6-year-old Rotweiler mix is blind.
“He made it out, but his brother didn't,” Coulombe said. “He must've jumped the gate and ran upstairs because he was scared.”
The fire was contained within an hour, and O'Brien said the cause is still under investigation.
With heating and holiday decorations a common cause of fire this time of year, O'Brien said he would meet with the homeowners to explore possible causes.
“It could be anything,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- All safe following early-morning Manchester blaze on West Side - 4
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 4
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry victim of Maine shooting expected to recover - 0
- Derry man facing sex assaults wants trial, rejects plea deal - 0
- Bail set at $20,000 for escapee captured after DWI wreck of stolen car - 0
- Utility truck overturns as vehicles dodge ladder on Route 101 in Exeter - 0
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 1
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'