Home » News » Public Safety
Goffstown fire claims life of dog
Firefighters battled a fire on Prospect Street in Goffstown Wednesday. The back of the single-family home was damaged. (Kathy Remillard/Union Leader Correspondent)
GOFFSTOWN – Fire officials are investigating a fire on Prospect Street Wednesday in which a family dog perished.
According to police chief Patrick Sullivan, the fire at 7 Prospect St. was reported shortly before 10 a.m. by a DPW worker who was collecting trash.
Fire chief Richard O'Brien described the fire as a single alarm, with additional assistance from Bedford and Hooksett. Mutual aid was also provided by New Boston and Weare.
“The bulk of the fire was to the back of the building,” said O'Brien, “but it looks like the structure can be saved.”
A second dog, TJ, made it out of the building, which was surprising to Coulombe, since the 6-year-old Rotweiler mix is blind.
“He made it out, but his brother didn't,” Coulombe said. “He must've jumped the gate and ran upstairs because he was scared.”
The fire was contained within an hour, and O'Brien said the cause is still under investigation.
With heating and holiday decorations a common cause of fire this time of year, O'Brien said he would meet with the homeowners to explore possible causes.
“It could be anything,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH