Home » News » Public Safety
Goffstown fire claims life of dog
Firefighters battled a fire on Prospect Street in Goffstown Wednesday. The back of the single-family home was damaged. (Kathy Remillard/Union Leader Correspondent)
GOFFSTOWN – Fire officials are investigating a fire on Prospect Street Wednesday in which a family dog perished.
According to police chief Patrick Sullivan, the fire at 7 Prospect St. was reported shortly before 10 a.m. by a DPW worker who was collecting trash.
Fire chief Richard O'Brien described the fire as a single alarm, with additional assistance from Bedford and Hooksett. Mutual aid was also provided by New Boston and Weare.
“The bulk of the fire was to the back of the building,” said O'Brien, “but it looks like the structure can be saved.”
A second dog, TJ, made it out of the building, which was surprising to Coulombe, since the 6-year-old Rotweiler mix is blind.
“He made it out, but his brother didn't,” Coulombe said. “He must've jumped the gate and ran upstairs because he was scared.”
The fire was contained within an hour, and O'Brien said the cause is still under investigation.
With heating and holiday decorations a common cause of fire this time of year, O'Brien said he would meet with the homeowners to explore possible causes.
“It could be anything,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072