Home » News » Public Safety
Goffstown fire claims life of dog
Firefighters battled a fire on Prospect Street in Goffstown Wednesday. The back of the single-family home was damaged. (Kathy Remillard/Union Leader Correspondent)
GOFFSTOWN – Fire officials are investigating a fire on Prospect Street Wednesday in which a family dog perished.
According to police chief Patrick Sullivan, the fire at 7 Prospect St. was reported shortly before 10 a.m. by a DPW worker who was collecting trash.
Fire chief Richard O'Brien described the fire as a single alarm, with additional assistance from Bedford and Hooksett. Mutual aid was also provided by New Boston and Weare.
“The bulk of the fire was to the back of the building,” said O'Brien, “but it looks like the structure can be saved.”
A second dog, TJ, made it out of the building, which was surprising to Coulombe, since the 6-year-old Rotweiler mix is blind.
“He made it out, but his brother didn't,” Coulombe said. “He must've jumped the gate and ran upstairs because he was scared.”
The fire was contained within an hour, and O'Brien said the cause is still under investigation.
With heating and holiday decorations a common cause of fire this time of year, O'Brien said he would meet with the homeowners to explore possible causes.
“It could be anything,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time