Home » News » Public Safety
Goffstown fire claims life of dog
Firefighters battled a fire on Prospect Street in Goffstown Wednesday. The back of the single-family home was damaged. (Kathy Remillard/Union Leader Correspondent)
GOFFSTOWN – Fire officials are investigating a fire on Prospect Street Wednesday in which a family dog perished.
According to police chief Patrick Sullivan, the fire at 7 Prospect St. was reported shortly before 10 a.m. by a DPW worker who was collecting trash.
Fire chief Richard O'Brien described the fire as a single alarm, with additional assistance from Bedford and Hooksett. Mutual aid was also provided by New Boston and Weare.
“The bulk of the fire was to the back of the building,” said O'Brien, “but it looks like the structure can be saved.”
A second dog, TJ, made it out of the building, which was surprising to Coulombe, since the 6-year-old Rotweiler mix is blind.
“He made it out, but his brother didn't,” Coulombe said. “He must've jumped the gate and ran upstairs because he was scared.”
The fire was contained within an hour, and O'Brien said the cause is still under investigation.
With heating and holiday decorations a common cause of fire this time of year, O'Brien said he would meet with the homeowners to explore possible causes.
“It could be anything,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads