Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
NH's Sabean returns to Giants as GM
The San Francisco Giants have picked up the club options of general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy for the 2014 season, club president Larry Baer announced at the winter meetings.
Both moves were options from the one-year extensions they received last fall. Both men have been instrumental in the Giants winning the World Series in 2010 and 2012.
"It was a no-brainer," Baer said, according to MLB.com.
Sabean, who grew up in Concord, N.H., and is a graduate of Concord High School, is the longest-tenured general manager in baseball, entering his 17th season. He came to the team in 1993 as the senior vice president of player personnel and was promoted to general manager after the 1996 season. He has become known for key subtle July or August trades that have sent the Giants into the postseason.
Bochy has been with San Francisco since 2007, when he left the San Diego Padres after 12 years as manager. The Giants have had winning seasons the last four years under Bochy, who is 503-464 (.517) in six years in San Francisco.
"I couldn't be more fortunate to have Brian Sabean as my boss," Bochy said. "We have a great relationship. He's more than a boss. He's a friend and somebody that really spends a lot of time with me talking about the team, talking about baseball, ways to improve the club. I mean, he's passionate about the game, about the players, about the fans and about winning."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 14
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 24
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 3
- Athletes and PE: Give them credit for sports - 7
- The EPA's friend: It has a loyal ally in Shea-Porter - 16
- Leading vs. following: Ayotte, Shaheen and the polls - 24
- The cupcake police: Stop! In the name of lard! - 15
- Page One Editorial: Obama is right - 27
- Taxed tips: Another NH revenue grab - 9
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?