Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
NH's Sabean returns to Giants as GM
The San Francisco Giants have picked up the club options of general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy for the 2014 season, club president Larry Baer announced at the winter meetings.
Both moves were options from the one-year extensions they received last fall. Both men have been instrumental in the Giants winning the World Series in 2010 and 2012.
"It was a no-brainer," Baer said, according to MLB.com.
Sabean, who grew up in Concord, N.H., and is a graduate of Concord High School, is the longest-tenured general manager in baseball, entering his 17th season. He came to the team in 1993 as the senior vice president of player personnel and was promoted to general manager after the 1996 season. He has become known for key subtle July or August trades that have sent the Giants into the postseason.
Bochy has been with San Francisco since 2007, when he left the San Diego Padres after 12 years as manager. The Giants have had winning seasons the last four years under Bochy, who is 503-464 (.517) in six years in San Francisco.
"I couldn't be more fortunate to have Brian Sabean as my boss," Bochy said. "We have a great relationship. He's more than a boss. He's a friend and somebody that really spends a lot of time with me talking about the team, talking about baseball, ways to improve the club. I mean, he's passionate about the game, about the players, about the fans and about winning."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Exeter teachers were kids' favorites - 6
- Jury overrules panel, awards malpractice verdict in son's death - 21
- Judge continues case against Keene parking meter 'Robin Hoods' - 35
- Teen told no fish story: He's the official derby winner - 0
- Pembroke man's family stunned by his shooting by Manchester police - 0
- New Conway library director coming from Manchester - 0
- Updated: Old Epping cemetery disturbed - 0
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 26 new Americans - 1
- Pinkerton students pause to remember Lt. Paul DeMeo - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time