Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
NH's Sabean returns to Giants as GM
The San Francisco Giants have picked up the club options of general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy for the 2014 season, club president Larry Baer announced at the winter meetings.
Both moves were options from the one-year extensions they received last fall. Both men have been instrumental in the Giants winning the World Series in 2010 and 2012.
"It was a no-brainer," Baer said, according to MLB.com.
Sabean, who grew up in Concord, N.H., and is a graduate of Concord High School, is the longest-tenured general manager in baseball, entering his 17th season. He came to the team in 1993 as the senior vice president of player personnel and was promoted to general manager after the 1996 season. He has become known for key subtle July or August trades that have sent the Giants into the postseason.
Bochy has been with San Francisco since 2007, when he left the San Diego Padres after 12 years as manager. The Giants have had winning seasons the last four years under Bochy, who is 503-464 (.517) in six years in San Francisco.
"I couldn't be more fortunate to have Brian Sabean as my boss," Bochy said. "We have a great relationship. He's more than a boss. He's a friend and somebody that really spends a lot of time with me talking about the team, talking about baseball, ways to improve the club. I mean, he's passionate about the game, about the players, about the fans and about winning."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans