Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
NH's Sabean returns to Giants as GM
The San Francisco Giants have picked up the club options of general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy for the 2014 season, club president Larry Baer announced at the winter meetings.
Both moves were options from the one-year extensions they received last fall. Both men have been instrumental in the Giants winning the World Series in 2010 and 2012.
"It was a no-brainer," Baer said, according to MLB.com.
Sabean, who grew up in Concord, N.H., and is a graduate of Concord High School, is the longest-tenured general manager in baseball, entering his 17th season. He came to the team in 1993 as the senior vice president of player personnel and was promoted to general manager after the 1996 season. He has become known for key subtle July or August trades that have sent the Giants into the postseason.
Bochy has been with San Francisco since 2007, when he left the San Diego Padres after 12 years as manager. The Giants have had winning seasons the last four years under Bochy, who is 503-464 (.517) in six years in San Francisco.
"I couldn't be more fortunate to have Brian Sabean as my boss," Bochy said. "We have a great relationship. He's more than a boss. He's a friend and somebody that really spends a lot of time with me talking about the team, talking about baseball, ways to improve the club. I mean, he's passionate about the game, about the players, about the fans and about winning."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Bard tough to watch, tough to root against - 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
- Blue Jays homers hammer Red Sox - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: This is Lester's team now - 0
- Red Sox can't get any relief as Lind's homer wins it for Jays - 0
- Lester dominates Jays, tossing one-hitter - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Bullpen becomes land of questions - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'