Home » Opinion » Editorials
Killer culture? Blaming guns again
Here we go again. A high-profile shooting prompts ignorant people to blame guns for murder. When are we going to learn?
After Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot his girlfriend to death and then killed himself, NBC Sports commentator Bob Costas read on-air during a Sunday football game portions of a column by sportswriter Jason Whitlock, who wrote, "If Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
Right, because 228-pound linebackers cannot possibly kill women without using firearms. Also, if "the real killer" didn't possess a knife, Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman would be alive today.
Costas made things worse by explaining his comments. On MSNBC he said, "What I was talking about here - and I'm sorry if that wasn't clear to everybody - was a gun culture. It demonstrates itself in the Wild West, Dirty Harry mentality of people who actually believe that if a number of people were armed in the theater in Aurora, they would have been able to take down this nutjob in body armor and military-style artillery."
About the "gun culture," since 2006, gun sales in Virginia rose by 73 percent, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported last month. In the same period, crime dropped by 25 percent. The "gun culture" does not kill people. Crazy, disturbed and evil people who are better armed than their victims do.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 0
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 13
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Another View - Debra and Marc Tice: Give families a say in hostage policy - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Politicians betray us by betraying our protectors - 1
- Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value - 1
- Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools - 5
- Pat Buchanan -- Jonathan Gruber, honest liberal - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: Thinking about torture - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 0
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 0
- More theft-related charges for Raymond woman - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose