With enrollment continuing to drop, Newfound school district plans ahead
BRISTOL - Due to dropping enrollments, the Newfound Area School District is studying the idea of converting to K-8 schools in district towns and eliminating the district's middle school.
At present, the district has kindergarten through fifth-grade students at the Bridgewater-Hebron Village School, the Bristol Elementary School and New Hampton Community School.
It operates a K-4 system at Danbury Elementary.
Danbury fifth-graders presently are taught at other elementary schools in the system.
Students in grades six to eight go to Newfound Middle School.
With significantly fewer students in the district, "taxpayers will say, 'Why do we need six buildings?' It's obvious that this and other options need to be looked at now," said Paul Migliore, the school board chairman.
District officials said over the past eight years, the district has lost an average of 30 to 40 students per year.
Migliore said the decline is likely due to residents moving to places where rents are lower.
If enrollments continue to drop, he said, a few years from now the district may be forced to take action without time for residents in the seven-town district to have any input.
"There is a continued trend in downward enrollments," he said. "We're looking at this as a study in how we can improve student outcomes now, while we have time for a corrective dialogue to take place."
- - - - - - - -
Dan Seufert may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax