Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sales tax threat: A real one from Washington
A bill in Congress that would force New Hampshire businesses to become sales-tax collectors for other states made some movement in the U.S. Senate this week. That alarming bit of news ought to spur New Hampshire retailers to contact their newly elected members of Congress and the governor-elect to urge them to oppose this legislation as vigorously as they can.
The so-called Marketplace Fairness Act would compel retailers who do at least $500,000 in remote sales to collect and remit sales taxes for the jurisdiction where the buyer resides. Once that happens, it is only a matter of time before the same standard is applied to in-person cross-border retail sales.
Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., proposed adding the bill as an amendment to the defense authorization bill this week, but debate was cut off before that could happen, Examiner.com reported. "Senator Durbin is working with his colleagues ... to look for any opportunity to move the bill," a Durbin spokesman told the paper.
Sens. Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen oppose the bill. Where do newly elected Reps. Anne Kuster and Carol Shea-Porter stand? New Hampshire retailers need to make sure those two and our governor-elect oppose it as well. (New House Speaker Terie Norelli says she opposes it, though the National Conference of State Legislatures, of which she is president, supports it.) New Hampshire will need all the help it can get to protect the N.H. Advantage from this very serious threat.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Lower corporate tax rates or lose more firms - 0
- Roger Simon: If Hillary represents an Obama third term, she is doomed - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Parvo scare could be detrimental to puppy training, despite slim risk - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 28
- John Stossel: The other green monster - 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- Playing for a purpose Field Hockey Jamboree at Manchester Memorial - 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America
Amnesty? Garcia is against it