Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sales tax threat: A real one from Washington
A bill in Congress that would force New Hampshire businesses to become sales-tax collectors for other states made some movement in the U.S. Senate this week. That alarming bit of news ought to spur New Hampshire retailers to contact their newly elected members of Congress and the governor-elect to urge them to oppose this legislation as vigorously as they can.
The so-called Marketplace Fairness Act would compel retailers who do at least $500,000 in remote sales to collect and remit sales taxes for the jurisdiction where the buyer resides. Once that happens, it is only a matter of time before the same standard is applied to in-person cross-border retail sales.
Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., proposed adding the bill as an amendment to the defense authorization bill this week, but debate was cut off before that could happen, Examiner.com reported. "Senator Durbin is working with his colleagues ... to look for any opportunity to move the bill," a Durbin spokesman told the paper.
Sens. Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen oppose the bill. Where do newly elected Reps. Anne Kuster and Carol Shea-Porter stand? New Hampshire retailers need to make sure those two and our governor-elect oppose it as well. (New House Speaker Terie Norelli says she opposes it, though the National Conference of State Legislatures, of which she is president, supports it.) New Hampshire will need all the help it can get to protect the N.H. Advantage from this very serious threat.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Tuesday's Mega Millions jackpot now at $585 million - 0
- New Hampshire's homeless remembered in Laconia vigil - 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 7
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child