Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Mascoma Valley Regional prank leads to teen's arrest
CANAAN - Police arrested a 17-year-old man on charges he called Mascoma Valley Regional High School with a prank threat, but police are withholding the teen's name until January, likely in violation of state open records laws.
Police Chief Samuel Frank said in a release the 17-year-old telephoned the school saying he had taken office staff hostage and was holding a gun to their heads. A school resource officer "found that there was in fact no threat to anyone and after a thorough investigation a suspect was identified and admitted to placing the phone call. It was determined that the call was a hoax and at no time did the student have a weapon or take anyone hostage."
Frank said the man - state law defines a minor as anyone "under the age of 17" - was charged with false public alarms and is scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 14 in Lebanon Circuit Court.
However, Frank said in the release that "his name and information are being withheld until the arraignment."
Frank did not provide a reason for withholding the information in the release and did not respond to a phone call and email requesting the man's name.
Greg Sullivan, an attorney for the New Hampshire Union Leader, said it is doubtful that police have any cause to withhold the man's name.
"Absent extraordinary circumstances, secret arrests are simply wrong," Sullivan said. "They undermine the public's right to know what their government is up to."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus