Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Mascoma Valley Regional prank leads to teen's arrest
CANAAN - Police arrested a 17-year-old man on charges he called Mascoma Valley Regional High School with a prank threat, but police are withholding the teen's name until January, likely in violation of state open records laws.
Police Chief Samuel Frank said in a release the 17-year-old telephoned the school saying he had taken office staff hostage and was holding a gun to their heads. A school resource officer "found that there was in fact no threat to anyone and after a thorough investigation a suspect was identified and admitted to placing the phone call. It was determined that the call was a hoax and at no time did the student have a weapon or take anyone hostage."
Frank said the man - state law defines a minor as anyone "under the age of 17" - was charged with false public alarms and is scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 14 in Lebanon Circuit Court.
However, Frank said in the release that "his name and information are being withheld until the arraignment."
Frank did not provide a reason for withholding the information in the release and did not respond to a phone call and email requesting the man's name.
Greg Sullivan, an attorney for the New Hampshire Union Leader, said it is doubtful that police have any cause to withhold the man's name.
"Absent extraordinary circumstances, secret arrests are simply wrong," Sullivan said. "They undermine the public's right to know what their government is up to."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newmarket man indicted on sex assault counts - 0
- Bail set at $2,000 for man accused of $1,950 check forgery - 0
- Vandal slashes holiday display but cannot deflate Christmas spirit - 0
- Mistrial declared in Keene cold-case murder trial - 0
- Grantham man gets prison in shooting death of wife - 0
- Rockingham County attorney suspension continues amid probe - 1
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Ice storm threatens the region
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424