May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Mascoma Valley Regional prank leads to teen's arrest
CANAAN - Police arrested a 17-year-old man on charges he called Mascoma Valley Regional High School with a prank threat, but police are withholding the teen's name until January, likely in violation of state open records laws.
Police Chief Samuel Frank said in a release the 17-year-old telephoned the school saying he had taken office staff hostage and was holding a gun to their heads. A school resource officer "found that there was in fact no threat to anyone and after a thorough investigation a suspect was identified and admitted to placing the phone call. It was determined that the call was a hoax and at no time did the student have a weapon or take anyone hostage."
Frank said the man - state law defines a minor as anyone "under the age of 17" - was charged with false public alarms and is scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 14 in Lebanon Circuit Court.
However, Frank said in the release that "his name and information are being withheld until the arraignment."
Frank did not provide a reason for withholding the information in the release and did not respond to a phone call and email requesting the man's name.
Greg Sullivan, an attorney for the New Hampshire Union Leader, said it is doubtful that police have any cause to withhold the man's name.
"Absent extraordinary circumstances, secret arrests are simply wrong," Sullivan said. "They undermine the public's right to know what their government is up to."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 33
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424