Home » News » Public Safety
Bomb threat found in Bedford High bathroom
BEDFORD - A bomb threat brought police and fire personnel to Bedford High School Friday morning, though no evidence was found.
According to SAU 25 Superintendent Timothy Mayes, a message was found in a boys bathroom stall before 9 a.m. indicating that there was a bomb inside the building.
Mayes said Bedford Police and Fire Departments were contacted, and bomb-sniffing dogs were brought in to search both the high school and the adjacent Ross A. Lurgio Middle School.
"They determined that it was a low-risk threat," said Mayes, adding that all standard emergency protocol was followed for the type of threat involved.
Students were not evacuated from the building.
Mayes said large areas of the school were searched first, including the gymnasium and theater, and students were moved into those areas once they were cleared so that the remainder of the buildings could be inspected.
Principal William Hagen sent home a letter to parents regarding the incident, which said, in part, "While we are confident that this was an empty threat, we took all appropriate action as a precautionary measure."
Classes resumed Friday afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 6
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 1
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 2
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 9
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond