Home » News » Public Safety
Man douses self with gas, sets self on fire
LINCOLN - In a scene that rattled police, firefighters and a hiker who witnessed the event, a Boston-area man committed suicide in a Lincoln parking lot early Friday morning by dousing himself with gasoline and setting himself on fire, Lincoln's police chief said.
"He dumped a can of gasoline on himself while he was standing, set the fire and he ran. He was still on fire when we got there," Chief Ted Smith said Friday afternoon.
Although the New Hampshire Chief Medical Examiner's Office is not likely to have a positive identification before Monday on the body that was burned beyond recognition, Smith said police believe they know his identity. A concerned person had notified New Hampshire police to be on the look out for him, said Smith, who said his department is treating the matter as a case of suicide.
"A hiker spotted him in the parking lot of Lincoln Woods and called us. The hiker said, 'It's a mannequin on fire.' That poor guy going for a hike was really shook up," said Smith.
The chief said he was planning a quiet day of completing some paperwork in his office when the call came in at 7:30 a.m. Sgt. Joseph DeLuca was already headed for the parking lot, and Smith and Lt. Cecil Cooper arrived right behind him.
"I called the fire department, grabbed the lieutenant and went. We were there by 7:45. None of us have fire training," he said of the police officers. "The fire department people who responded were all young. They had never seen anything like this, and they were all shaken, too. We're going to have to talk to them," Smith said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 1
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 4
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 1
- Nashua aldermen approve pair of union contracts - 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal