Home » News » Public Safety
Man douses self with gas, sets self on fire
LINCOLN - In a scene that rattled police, firefighters and a hiker who witnessed the event, a Boston-area man committed suicide in a Lincoln parking lot early Friday morning by dousing himself with gasoline and setting himself on fire, Lincoln's police chief said.
"He dumped a can of gasoline on himself while he was standing, set the fire and he ran. He was still on fire when we got there," Chief Ted Smith said Friday afternoon.
Although the New Hampshire Chief Medical Examiner's Office is not likely to have a positive identification before Monday on the body that was burned beyond recognition, Smith said police believe they know his identity. A concerned person had notified New Hampshire police to be on the look out for him, said Smith, who said his department is treating the matter as a case of suicide.
"A hiker spotted him in the parking lot of Lincoln Woods and called us. The hiker said, 'It's a mannequin on fire.' That poor guy going for a hike was really shook up," said Smith.
The chief said he was planning a quiet day of completing some paperwork in his office when the call came in at 7:30 a.m. Sgt. Joseph DeLuca was already headed for the parking lot, and Smith and Lt. Cecil Cooper arrived right behind him.
"I called the fire department, grabbed the lieutenant and went. We were there by 7:45. None of us have fire training," he said of the police officers. "The fire department people who responded were all young. They had never seen anything like this, and they were all shaken, too. We're going to have to talk to them," Smith said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072