Man suspected of involvement in Benghazi attack held in Egypt
CAIRO- Egyptian authorities are holding a man whose militant group is suspected of links to an attack in Libya in which the American ambassador was killed, U.S. officials in Washington and a security source in Cairo said on Saturday.
"They arrested Mohamed Gamal," said one U.S. official.
The security source in Cairo, giving the man's full name as Mohamed Gamal Abu Ahmed, said the suspect was being questioned about an alleged role in the attacks in Benghazi in September in which Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador, died along with three other American officials.
U.S. officials said Abu Ahmed's group was suspected of a role in the violence but they were not sure whether he personally was involved.
Abu Ahmed, released from an Egyptian prison in 2011 after the uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak, was originally arrested three weeks ago on charges of leading a militant cell that comprised members from Egypt and Libya.
Egyptian security sources had earlier said the Abu Ahmed group, which they said had al Qaeda backing, was planning attacks in Egypt and abroad. Others linked to the group were arrested in October, including a Tunisian and a Libyan.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Video: British hostage beheaded by ISIS - 14
- To remember the POW and MIA: Recognition Day ceremony in Boscawen - 0
- Goffstown High grad finishes Air Force training - 0
- JFK picture on side of Dallas tour bus draws ire, threats - 0
- Yellowstone tourist fined for crashed drone - 0
- FBI chief claims killer of Foley and Sotloff is identified - 0
- FBI says militant in beheading videos ID'd; about a dozen from U.S. have fought with militants in Syria - 0
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on Islamic State in Syria - 16
- Obama to make statement after airstrikes against Islamic State, White House official says - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 10
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0