Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Garnett leads balanced Celtics attack in win over Sixers
BOSTON - Kevin Garnett scored 19 points as Boston led wire-to-wire and gained a split of its home-and-home series with visiting Philadelphia with a 92-79 win Saturday.
Reserve Jeff Green added 16 on 7-for-12 shooting as Boston shot 53.3 percent. Paul Pierce added 13 points and handed out a season-high nine assists to become the fifth member of the Celtics to reach 4,000 career assists.
Thaddeus Young led the way for Philadelphia with 22 points. Evan Turner followed up his game-winning shot in overtime on Friday by adding 13 points on 6-for-15 shooting.
Boston took its first double-digit lead at 26-16 on Garnett's jumper early in the second quarter. Philadelphia shot just 3-of-21 in the quarter and the Celtics raced ahead to a 48-28 halftime lead.
Garnett scored eight points early in the third quarter as Boston maintained a 20-point lead. The 76ers came back while Garnett rested, scoring 13 straight points and were within 65-57 on Turner's jumper but couldn't get any closer.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's 28 points allowed in the first half were a season-best, surpassing the 33 allowed to Portland on Nov. 30. ... Philadelphia reserve Nick Young missed his fourth straight game with a hyperextended left toe. ... Garnett played 23:26 minutes and did not record a rebound for the first time since Jan. 21, 1997.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 8
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child