Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Garnett leads balanced Celtics attack in win over Sixers
BOSTON - Kevin Garnett scored 19 points as Boston led wire-to-wire and gained a split of its home-and-home series with visiting Philadelphia with a 92-79 win Saturday.
Reserve Jeff Green added 16 on 7-for-12 shooting as Boston shot 53.3 percent. Paul Pierce added 13 points and handed out a season-high nine assists to become the fifth member of the Celtics to reach 4,000 career assists.
Thaddeus Young led the way for Philadelphia with 22 points. Evan Turner followed up his game-winning shot in overtime on Friday by adding 13 points on 6-for-15 shooting.
Boston took its first double-digit lead at 26-16 on Garnett's jumper early in the second quarter. Philadelphia shot just 3-of-21 in the quarter and the Celtics raced ahead to a 48-28 halftime lead.
Garnett scored eight points early in the third quarter as Boston maintained a 20-point lead. The 76ers came back while Garnett rested, scoring 13 straight points and were within 65-57 on Turner's jumper but couldn't get any closer.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's 28 points allowed in the first half were a season-best, surpassing the 33 allowed to Portland on Nov. 30. ... Philadelphia reserve Nick Young missed his fourth straight game with a hyperextended left toe. ... Garnett played 23:26 minutes and did not record a rebound for the first time since Jan. 21, 1997.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- NH College Notebook: Dartmouth College baseball team eyes Ivy League crown - 0
- NH College Notebook: Bowdoin's O'Neil named New England Hockey Coach of the Year - 0
- NH College Notebook: Mabry, Jean-Guillaume earn All-America hoop honors - 0
- Jim Fennell's NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce basketball team's next test is Metro State - 0
- NH College Notebook: Keene State adds familiar names to baseball coaching staff - 0
- Eric Emmerling's NH College Notebook: SNHU plans to add four new sports over next three years - 0
- Eric Emmerling's NH College Notebook: Lafond qualifies for Div. II nationals with sub-4:10 mile - 0
- Eric Emmerling's College Notebook: St. Anselm skater Mullin scoring points off the ice - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 10
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
License revocations for DWI announced
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands