Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Garnett leads balanced Celtics attack in win over Sixers
BOSTON - Kevin Garnett scored 19 points as Boston led wire-to-wire and gained a split of its home-and-home series with visiting Philadelphia with a 92-79 win Saturday.
Reserve Jeff Green added 16 on 7-for-12 shooting as Boston shot 53.3 percent. Paul Pierce added 13 points and handed out a season-high nine assists to become the fifth member of the Celtics to reach 4,000 career assists.
Thaddeus Young led the way for Philadelphia with 22 points. Evan Turner followed up his game-winning shot in overtime on Friday by adding 13 points on 6-for-15 shooting.
Boston took its first double-digit lead at 26-16 on Garnett's jumper early in the second quarter. Philadelphia shot just 3-of-21 in the quarter and the Celtics raced ahead to a 48-28 halftime lead.
Garnett scored eight points early in the third quarter as Boston maintained a 20-point lead. The 76ers came back while Garnett rested, scoring 13 straight points and were within 65-57 on Turner's jumper but couldn't get any closer.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's 28 points allowed in the first half were a season-best, surpassing the 33 allowed to Portland on Nov. 30. ... Philadelphia reserve Nick Young missed his fourth straight game with a hyperextended left toe. ... Garnett played 23:26 minutes and did not record a rebound for the first time since Jan. 21, 1997.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celts win, take first place - 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child