Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Garnett leads balanced Celtics attack in win over Sixers
BOSTON - Kevin Garnett scored 19 points as Boston led wire-to-wire and gained a split of its home-and-home series with visiting Philadelphia with a 92-79 win Saturday.
Reserve Jeff Green added 16 on 7-for-12 shooting as Boston shot 53.3 percent. Paul Pierce added 13 points and handed out a season-high nine assists to become the fifth member of the Celtics to reach 4,000 career assists.
Thaddeus Young led the way for Philadelphia with 22 points. Evan Turner followed up his game-winning shot in overtime on Friday by adding 13 points on 6-for-15 shooting.
Boston took its first double-digit lead at 26-16 on Garnett's jumper early in the second quarter. Philadelphia shot just 3-of-21 in the quarter and the Celtics raced ahead to a 48-28 halftime lead.
Garnett scored eight points early in the third quarter as Boston maintained a 20-point lead. The 76ers came back while Garnett rested, scoring 13 straight points and were within 65-57 on Turner's jumper but couldn't get any closer.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's 28 points allowed in the first half were a season-best, surpassing the 33 allowed to Portland on Nov. 30. ... Philadelphia reserve Nick Young missed his fourth straight game with a hyperextended left toe. ... Garnett played 23:26 minutes and did not record a rebound for the first time since Jan. 21, 1997.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
- Bobcats end Celtics' four-game win streak - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event