Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Garnett leads balanced Celtics attack in win over Sixers
BOSTON - Kevin Garnett scored 19 points as Boston led wire-to-wire and gained a split of its home-and-home series with visiting Philadelphia with a 92-79 win Saturday.
Reserve Jeff Green added 16 on 7-for-12 shooting as Boston shot 53.3 percent. Paul Pierce added 13 points and handed out a season-high nine assists to become the fifth member of the Celtics to reach 4,000 career assists.
Thaddeus Young led the way for Philadelphia with 22 points. Evan Turner followed up his game-winning shot in overtime on Friday by adding 13 points on 6-for-15 shooting.
Boston took its first double-digit lead at 26-16 on Garnett's jumper early in the second quarter. Philadelphia shot just 3-of-21 in the quarter and the Celtics raced ahead to a 48-28 halftime lead.
Garnett scored eight points early in the third quarter as Boston maintained a 20-point lead. The 76ers came back while Garnett rested, scoring 13 straight points and were within 65-57 on Turner's jumper but couldn't get any closer.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's 28 points allowed in the first half were a season-best, surpassing the 33 allowed to Portland on Nov. 30. ... Philadelphia reserve Nick Young missed his fourth straight game with a hyperextended left toe. ... Garnett played 23:26 minutes and did not record a rebound for the first time since Jan. 21, 1997.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
- Celts 'point' to Garnett for solutions - 0
- Too much Carmelo as Knicks top Celtics in Game 1 - 0
- C's end regular season on losing note - 0
- Celtics clinch No. 7 seed with easy win over Magic - 0
- Heat's stars get better of Celtics - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty