Home » Sports » College Sports
Manziel first freshman to win Heisman Trophy
Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel was awarded the Heisman Trophy on Saturday, making him the first 'freshman' to win college football's top honor.
Manziel, nicknamed "Johnny Football", beat out Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o and Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein at the annualceremony in New York.
"This is a moment I've dreamed about since I was a kid running around the backyard pretending I was Doug Flute throwing "Hail Marys" to my dad," the first-year player Manziel said.
"To be invited into this fraternity, what a pleasure it really is. I wish my whole team could be up here with me tonight, especially my whole offensive line."
Manziel finished the regular season with 3,419 passing yards and 1,181 rushing yards to set a new total offense record for the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in 12 games.
Manziel, who is not eligible for the NFL draft for at least another year, also broke the 1969 record held by Archie Manning, father of Peyton and Eli Manning, for total offense in a game with 557 yards against Arkansas.
He later bettered that with 567 yards against Louisiana Tech.
Marqise Lee from USC was fourth and Braxton Miller from Ohio State was fifth.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- NHIAA track meets rescheduled to Sunday - 0
- High School Lacrosse: Trinity a pushover no longer - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Santos hits milestone in BG girls’ lacrosse win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- Milford's Morgan Andrews named Gatorade NationalGirls Soccer Player of the Year - 0
- Goffstown team to beat in NHIAA Div. II baseball tourney - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford rolls in NHIAA tennis tournament opener - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Sans dice, how will Hassan roll now? - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
State puts out call for foster parents