Home » Opinion » Editorials
Kate's baby: A royal choice of words
Princess Kate is carrying a baby, in case you haven't heard, or read, or seen the news.
It is cheery news, indeed, what with continued strife in the Middle East, Syria said to be considering using chemical weapons against its people, and the U.S. racing ever closer to a cliff of some sort.
But what struck us about Kate having a baby was that this is just how it was universally headlined. The princess is to have a baby. Will the baby be a boy? A girl? Twins? What will be the baby's name? Kate's baby is giving her a royal case of morning sickness.
No "fetus" references here. People and the press were not talking of "viability." They were discussing the future king, or queen, of the United Kingdom, and there were no questions about whether or when it might "become" a person.
As it was with another King's Son 2,000 years ago, there is no dispute that Kate, like Mary, is "with child."
What a wonderful, meaningful phrase.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies - 5
- Editorial: Jim Adams The GOP choice in Council Dist. 4 - 0
- NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass. - 13
- Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage? - 5
- Free state garden: Weeding is always good - 30
- August recess: Whither our NH representatives? - 1
- Portsmouth saga: Was this 'Officer Too-Friendly?' - 1
- Armed to the teeth, national media discover Bearcats - 21
- Market Basket fallout: Most innocent bystanders - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m