Home » Opinion » Editorials
Kate's baby: A royal choice of words
Princess Kate is carrying a baby, in case you haven't heard, or read, or seen the news.
It is cheery news, indeed, what with continued strife in the Middle East, Syria said to be considering using chemical weapons against its people, and the U.S. racing ever closer to a cliff of some sort.
But what struck us about Kate having a baby was that this is just how it was universally headlined. The princess is to have a baby. Will the baby be a boy? A girl? Twins? What will be the baby's name? Kate's baby is giving her a royal case of morning sickness.
No "fetus" references here. People and the press were not talking of "viability." They were discussing the future king, or queen, of the United Kingdom, and there were no questions about whether or when it might "become" a person.
As it was with another King's Son 2,000 years ago, there is no dispute that Kate, like Mary, is "with child."
What a wonderful, meaningful phrase.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 0
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 18
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 24
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'