Home » Opinion » Editorials
Kate's baby: A royal choice of words
Princess Kate is carrying a baby, in case you haven't heard, or read, or seen the news.
It is cheery news, indeed, what with continued strife in the Middle East, Syria said to be considering using chemical weapons against its people, and the U.S. racing ever closer to a cliff of some sort.
But what struck us about Kate having a baby was that this is just how it was universally headlined. The princess is to have a baby. Will the baby be a boy? A girl? Twins? What will be the baby's name? Kate's baby is giving her a royal case of morning sickness.
No "fetus" references here. People and the press were not talking of "viability." They were discussing the future king, or queen, of the United Kingdom, and there were no questions about whether or when it might "become" a person.
As it was with another King's Son 2,000 years ago, there is no dispute that Kate, like Mary, is "with child."
What a wonderful, meaningful phrase.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- City papers: A flawed right-to-know policy - 3
- Revenue raiser: An economic recovery, not a casino, is what's needed - 6
- Secret arrests? Not if we can help it - 6
- Process and law: Foster's questionable circumvention - 3
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 1
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 24
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 1
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 11
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Sanborn, Milford girls prevail; Alvirne baseball rolls - 0
- Iginla lifts Bruins to OT win, 3-1 series lead - 0
- Red Sox shelled by Yankees - 0
- Apple buoys Nasdaq; Ukraine weighs on market - 0
- Vote to cut Derry police overtime budget defeated - 0
- Haverhill American Legion post accused of allowing gambling - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: GOP hawks, doves are not helping their party right now - 0
- John Stossel: Privacy, please - 0
- Manchester officer cleared of assault, resigns - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Apple buoys Nasdaq; Ukraine weighs on market
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’
No charges in Nashua 'Duck-gate'
Rep. Kuster talks women's economic issues
George Will: Our adolescent President