Home » News » Public Safety
Mass. man identified by dental records after setting himself on fire in Lincoln
LINCOLN - The Massachusetts man who committed suicide Friday by burning himself to death in a Lincoln parking lot has been identified as Erik Halldorson, 40, of Roslindale, a spokesman at the New Hampshire Chief Medical Examiner's Office in Concord said Monday.
Lincoln Police Chief Ted Smith was one of several officers and firefighters who arrived on the scene at Lincoln Woods -- a popular local hiking area - early Friday morning while Halldorson's body was still engulfed in flames in the lot where hikers park while using the nearby trails.
Smith said Monday the medical examiner's office determined his identity through dental records, although police had a good idea who he was from having been alerted to be on the lookout for him, and having found Halldorson's wallet in the car he left behind.
"You never know; we had to get a positive identification. There was no note that he left here, but he had a dentist's appointment card in his wallet, and he was identified through dental records," Smith said.
A spokesman at the medical examiner's office said Halldorson's death has officially been ruled a suicide, with the cause of death listed as "smoke inhalation and severe thermal burns."
Emergency personnel responded to the scene around 7:45 a.m. Friday after a hiker spotted what he believed was a mannequin in flames and called police. Smith said Friday that Halldorson poured a can of gasoline over himself while he was standing, lit a fire, then ran some distance as flames consumed him. The chief described the caller and young firefighters who responded as shaken by what they saw.
The Boston Police department "was involved" in the lookout for Halldorson late last week, according to Smith. Asked if the man had been described as despondent, the chief said he didn't have that detail, but he described the police effort beforehand as a "welfare check" on Halldorson, who was believed to be headed north.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help