May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Exeter man competent for trial in child porn case
BRENTWOOD - An Exeter man accused of having more than 247,000 images of child pornography has been found competent to stand trial after a mental health evaluation.
Lawyers representing Thomas Rogers, 45, filed an agreement in court on Friday acknowledging their client was deemed competent to trial. Rogers was expected to appear before a judge that same day as part of a hearing that would have determined whether he was able to assist in his own defense.
An evaluation dated Oct. 16 concluded that Rogers was competent, according to the agreement.
Defense lawyers requested that Rogers undergo a competency evaluation days after he stabbed himself in the head with a pencil while being held at the Rockingham County jail, according to officials.
Investigators say the injury was initially reported as a suicide attempt.
Rogers faces 22 counts of possession of child sexual abuse images and five counts of attempted possession of child sexual abuse images.
He was arrested by Exeter police last Dec. 23. Property managers to Rogers' apartment told police they stumbled upon a trove of child pornography while doing a routine inspection.
Rogers was not home at the time, but allegedly left the pornography in plain view on his desk, police said. Rogers kept the images in a variety of places around his apartment - on his computer, in a stack of photographs on his desk and in a printed photo album that was at least 21 pages long, according to prosecutors. Exeter police also found roughly 1,400 videos on Rogers' computer after obtaining a search warrant.
Each of the charges carries a potential 7-1/2- to 15-year prison term. Prosecutors have the option under state law to seek a 20 year sentence. A March 4 trial date has been set for the case.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 33
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424