Home » News » Public Safety
Busted pipe soaks Manchester neighborhood
Crews work on a water main break on Old Wellington Road in Manchester on Wednesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
MANCHESTER - Manchester Water Works cut off water to several east Manchester homes after an 8-inch main ruptured Wednesday afternoon, sending water onto Old Wellington Road, lawns and basements of the small neighborhood near Foxwood Circle.
Water Works Director Tom Bowen said word of a leak came in about 2:30 p.m., and it took about an hour to isolate the line and close valves. By then, water flooded the basements of several homes. He said water levels were about 6 inches in a few basements.
"It looks to be a full (18-foot) length of pipe that broke," Bowen said. He said crews will examine the cast-iron water main once it is unearthed to see what caused the rupture. He expected it would take well into the night to repair it.
He said about six to eight duplexes and a half-dozen homes lost their water service.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 2
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 2
- Dartmouth gets 10 picks on All-Ivy team - 0
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection