Home » News » Public Safety
Busted pipe soaks Manchester neighborhood
MANCHESTER - Manchester Water Works cut off water to several east Manchester homes after an 8-inch main ruptured Wednesday afternoon, sending water onto Old Wellington Road, lawns and basements of the small neighborhood near Foxwood Circle.
Water Works Director Tom Bowen said word of a leak came in about 2:30 p.m., and it took about an hour to isolate the line and close valves. By then, water flooded the basements of several homes. He said water levels were about 6 inches in a few basements.
"It looks to be a full (18-foot) length of pipe that broke," Bowen said. He said crews will examine the cast-iron water main once it is unearthed to see what caused the rupture. He expected it would take well into the night to repair it.
He said about six to eight duplexes and a half-dozen homes lost their water service.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 2
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court upholds dismissal of O'Brien suit vs NHDP over 'robocalls' - 0
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 0
- AG says Rockingham County attorney probe 'substantially complete' - 0
- Nashua mayor says finance committee lacked authority to table buying dump trucks - 0
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 2
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief