Home » News » Public Safety
Busted pipe soaks Manchester neighborhood
Crews work on a water main break on Old Wellington Road in Manchester on Wednesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
MANCHESTER - Manchester Water Works cut off water to several east Manchester homes after an 8-inch main ruptured Wednesday afternoon, sending water onto Old Wellington Road, lawns and basements of the small neighborhood near Foxwood Circle.
Water Works Director Tom Bowen said word of a leak came in about 2:30 p.m., and it took about an hour to isolate the line and close valves. By then, water flooded the basements of several homes. He said water levels were about 6 inches in a few basements.
"It looks to be a full (18-foot) length of pipe that broke," Bowen said. He said crews will examine the cast-iron water main once it is unearthed to see what caused the rupture. He expected it would take well into the night to repair it.
He said about six to eight duplexes and a half-dozen homes lost their water service.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 3
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 1
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate