Home » News » Public Safety
Busted pipe soaks Manchester neighborhood
MANCHESTER - Manchester Water Works cut off water to several east Manchester homes after an 8-inch main ruptured Wednesday afternoon, sending water onto Old Wellington Road, lawns and basements of the small neighborhood near Foxwood Circle.
Water Works Director Tom Bowen said word of a leak came in about 2:30 p.m., and it took about an hour to isolate the line and close valves. By then, water flooded the basements of several homes. He said water levels were about 6 inches in a few basements.
"It looks to be a full (18-foot) length of pipe that broke," Bowen said. He said crews will examine the cast-iron water main once it is unearthed to see what caused the rupture. He expected it would take well into the night to repair it.
He said about six to eight duplexes and a half-dozen homes lost their water service.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis voters set to gather for annual Town Meeting Wednesday - 0
- Turnout light in Derry as of early afternoon - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon' - 2
- Sheriff, chief question Shaheen’s recent vote on controversial Obama nominee - 0
- Low turnout seen in early Lakes Region polling - 0
- Goffstown residents slow to vote so far - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Milton residents considering big issues at the polls Tuesday - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus