Home » News » Public Safety
Dozens evacuated during fire at Nashua apartment complex
NASHUA - Between 50 and 75 occupants of a three-story apartment building were evacuated Wednesday when a fire broke out around 7:30 a.m. at Boulder Park Apartments.
Fire officials say the blaze, which began in the ceiling of a second-floor bathroom at 18 Kessler Farm Drive, was likely caused by an electrical malfunction. It does not appear to be suspicious, said deputy fire chief Kevin Kerrigan.
"It is still under investigation," he said Wednesday afternoon. "We are very lucky that the fire wasn't earlier in the morning."
The occupant of apartment 635 was awake and noticed the fire, according to Kerrigan, who said although several people had already left for work, there were still many residents of the multi-unit apartment building at home.
"That is a very big building," he added. "It could have been much worse."
When fire crews arrived on the scene, smoke was visible from the outside of the building. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly, confining it to the bathroom, said Kerrigan. People were still inside the building when firefighters arrived, and several occupants were assisted from the apartment complex through heavy smoke conditions, according to fire officials. Firefighters searched every apartment to make sure that all the occupants were out of the building, said Kerrigan.There were no injuries reported, and the estimated 50 to 75 people who were evacuated were permitted back into their residences by Wednesday afternoon.
"It was mostly a smoke issue," he said, explaining the only occupant who will be temporarily displaced is the male resident of apartment 635.
READER COMMENTS: 76
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 1
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 1
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?