Home » News » Public Safety
Dozens evacuated during fire at Nashua apartment complex
NASHUA - Between 50 and 75 occupants of a three-story apartment building were evacuated Wednesday when a fire broke out around 7:30 a.m. at Boulder Park Apartments.
Fire officials say the blaze, which began in the ceiling of a second-floor bathroom at 18 Kessler Farm Drive, was likely caused by an electrical malfunction. It does not appear to be suspicious, said deputy fire chief Kevin Kerrigan.
"It is still under investigation," he said Wednesday afternoon. "We are very lucky that the fire wasn't earlier in the morning."
The occupant of apartment 635 was awake and noticed the fire, according to Kerrigan, who said although several people had already left for work, there were still many residents of the multi-unit apartment building at home.
"That is a very big building," he added. "It could have been much worse."
When fire crews arrived on the scene, smoke was visible from the outside of the building. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly, confining it to the bathroom, said Kerrigan. People were still inside the building when firefighters arrived, and several occupants were assisted from the apartment complex through heavy smoke conditions, according to fire officials. Firefighters searched every apartment to make sure that all the occupants were out of the building, said Kerrigan.There were no injuries reported, and the estimated 50 to 75 people who were evacuated were permitted back into their residences by Wednesday afternoon.
"It was mostly a smoke issue," he said, explaining the only occupant who will be temporarily displaced is the male resident of apartment 635.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem